(1) Creating with a team. As I write this, A New Liturgy No 4 is being mastered. Finished! I’m so excited. And as I look back over the last few months of making it, the biggest word that comes to mind is collaboration. Izzy, Ben, Nathan, Becky, and Aaron all brought ideas and grooves and sounds and colors I would have never thought of, and helped create the most exciting New Liturgy yet. It’s a thrill to create with such great people.
(2) Beats by Dre. About a month ago I realized that I listen to 90% of my music while running or riding my bike. But always through mediocre ear buds. So I cashed in a gift card at Best Buy and picked up the tour earphones by Dr Dre. Worth every penny.
(3) Blaine Hogan’s blog + book. My good friend Blaine is one of the most creative and thoughtful people I know. And right now, on his blog (which is always worth reading), he is giving away a download of his killer book UNTITLED: Thoughts on the Creative Process.
If you make anything, this book will help you make it better.
(4) Engaging with Middle East Peacemakers. Many of you know that traveling to Israel/Palestine profoundly marked me…and continues to mess with me. But rather than being content to theorize or opine endlessly, I really want to be an actual peacemaker in some small way. And so I’m trying to learn from people who are actually doing it. If you also want to learn about this complex issue, feel free to join us at Willow Creek on September 21st at 7pm for a Learning Community about Peacemaking in Israel and Palestine.
(5) Adventures with Shauna and the boys. Even though we’re all busy with our own stuff – Shauna is finishing her 3rd book, I’m already working on Liturgy No 5, Henry just started kindergarden and soccer, and Mac is busy bumping his head into every hard object he can find – we keep finding ways to have adventures TOGETHER. It’s not easy but so incredibly important. And fun! Here’s a video of Henry after his first ride on a real roller coaster – The Demon at Great America…