Hey friends. In terms of vocation, the last couple years have been a tumultuously beautiful journey.
Great moments of pain and great moments of blessing - often in the same day. But through God’s mercy,
the last few months have brought incredible clarity and a brand new adventure.
No, it’s not my life-long ambition to become a Chippendale’s dancer. That dream will just have to wait.
We are starting an experimental community at Willow Creek called The Practice: Learning the
Unforced Rhythms of Grace. We aim to be a discipleship-focused, formation-oriented, practice-based tribe
asking two simple questions: (1) What is the Life that Christ invites us into? and (2) What are the practices
we can do, together and on our own, to embrace this Eternal Life now? Or said simply:
What is God doing and how can we join Him?
We’ll gather on most Sunday nights in the Willow chapel to explore this together.
Friends, I haven’t been this excited or hopeful in years. This is the kind of work I was made for.
But more than vocation, this is the kind of tribe I desperately need to be a part of. I need them.
Here are a couple foundations we’ll be building on…
(1) The Kingdom. Jesus has invited every one of us to join God in healing and redeeming this
world. Through the scriptures, story, and worship, we want to align ourselves with this good work.
(2) Equipping. According to Eph 4, the church exists to equip the people for ministry. Sunday
night is not the main event, but a training ground to be God’s hands and feet in our world.
(3) Practice-based. More of a spiritual gymnasium than classroom. The focus is on the practices and disciplines that form us into Christlikeness.
(4) Ecumenical. Relentlessly committed to humbly learning from other Christian traditions and practices.
(5) Eucharistic. Every gathering will culminate with communion to weekly anchor us in Christ’s death, resurrection, and promos of return.
Over the next few weeks and months, our little tribe will begin fleshing out these pillars. Please pray for us!
Please pray that God would give us supernatural Wisdom, strength beyond ourselves, and deep humility.
Please pray that God would pull us into His Revolution in ways we never could have imagined.
And if you live in the Chicago area, we’d love for you to join us. (Sign up to our email list to learn more.) We don’t have it all figured out…in fact…we don’t have almost anything figured out! But we are throwing ourselves into this adventure and can’t wait to see what God does.
Grace and peace,